Dental Care for Pets in Muncie, IN
Have you ever taken a look at your pet’s teeth? While you don’t need to examine them one by one, a quick peek should let you know if it’s time for a check-up. At Maplewood Animal Hospital in Muncie, we offer dental exams, professional pet teeth cleaning services, and a variety of high-quality pet dental care products in Muncie, IN. Your pet’s overall health depends on them having good oral health, too, and our team can help them achieve that.
Symptoms of Dental Disease in Cats and Dogs
Without a dental routine that starts the moment they’re brought home, dogs and cats can have some form of dental disease by as early as three years old. Know the signs so you can seek treatment for your pet and prevent their condition from advancing.
These signs include:
- Bad breath
- Swollen gums
- Difficulty eating
- Changes in behavior
- Brown/yellow teeth
- Blood-tinged saliva
Ways to Care for Your Pet’s Teeth at Home
There are several ways you can maintain your pet’s oral health, such as:
- Brushing their teeth every day
- Supplementing their diet with tartar-control food
- Swapping out your dog’s treats with edible dental chews
- Using treated oral wipes to gently remove food debris and accumulated plaque
We understand that not every pet is going to take to having their teeth brushed, though brushing is one of the most effective ways to prevent plaque from forming. What is most important is understanding your pet and finding the treatments that will be most effective for their needs. Our team in Muncie will do just that when you bring your pet in to see us for a dental exam.
In-Hospital Teeth Cleanings for Cats and Dogs
In addition to taking care of your pet’s teeth at home, we also recommend routine cleanings at our animal hospital. These cleanings are especially important for pets that develop plaque and tartar buildup more quickly—by this point, brushing will not be enough to remove the buildup. At Maplewood Animal Hospital, we perform complete anesthesia dental cleanings in order to clean your pet’s teeth as thoroughly as possible. This includes:
- Closely examining your pet’s teeth one by one and probing the surrounding pockets
- Scaling every single tooth both above and under the gum line to remove tough calculus
- Performing full-mouth X-rays to check for abscesses, dental disease, and fractures in the teeth and surrounding bone
Contact Us About Pet Dental Exams in Muncie, IN
To make an appointment for a dental exam or cleaning, call us at 765-284-3393.